Monday, October 26, 2015

How Old Am I?

This week started off with a strike. The government want to rent out all of the touristic ruins including Machu Picchu. They want to allow companies from other countries be in charge of the property, and control the prices for 60 years. I really don`t know why or what but it ended up with a strike. The people live off of tourists in Cusco, so they all got together and decided to protest. There wasn`t a single car, or motorcycle in the street. There were barakades and people in the street making sure no one opened up their stores or used their cars to leave Calca. So it was really quiet for two days. It wasn`t very dangerous here in Calca, but in Cusco we heard it was pretty bad. The first night, all of the go-getting protesters went to Cusco to join the riot. We just walked around visiting members and a few others we could find at home. The people apparently won the vote, and nothing happened with the ruins. 

This week, we have been getting the Quispe Family ready for the baptism of their two sons. We had thought that Alex, their youngest was 8 years old, and would be a ward baptism. They had told us that their sons are 8, 11, and 13 years old, but as we were verifying their birth certificates we found out that they are 9, 12, and 14 years old. Everyone including the parents, kids, and us all looked at one another with face of suprise as we discovered their really ages. The kids were like, ``woah, I am how old?´´ haha. So Alex will be having his Baptismal Interview this week for the baptism on Saturday. We had a great lesson with them about Missionary Work. My companion half way through the lesson felt impressed to teach Alma 32 that talks about the seed of faith, and how we can plant that seed in the lives of our loved ones. I was then impressed to have them close their eyes for a minute and concentrate on the spirit as it puts the name of a loved one in their hearts. They all gave us someone that could one day blossom into a tree of life. We are planning a family night with them and their parents. 

I am anxious but dredding to know what the changes will be this next week. I love Calca. All of the members are joking with me, telling me if I stay another change, I might as well buy my farm. It`s been a great 7 1/2 months, and won`t forget the lessons I`ve learned here in Calca. If I ever have the opportunity to come here with you MOM and FAMILY, Calca would be one of the first stops. Love you MOM and FRIENDS and FAMILY. Keep doing what God wants, and you`ll be happy. 

Elder Jeffery

No comments:

Post a Comment