Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Fredrick's Baptism

This week could not have ended better with Fredrick`s baptism making the end of this change perfect. The baptism was on Friday, at 4. The WHOLE day it was cold outside. I was shivering just standing outside. Fredrick asked me to do the honor of baptizing him. But, this meant that I had to enter that water... again! We had the reunion in the house of the sister Gavina. There were a good 10 members there. We had a few talks, and then started walking up the hill to the river. We had found the perfect spot. There is a waterfall that isn`t tall but wide. There are two cement barriers blocking the water so that it leaves only in one certain spot, so it leaves a pool of calm, white, FREEZING COLD, water. We got up there, took pictures together, said a prayer, and entered the water. Honestly, I didn`t even think about the water. Mom, you know that I don`t like cold water, showers or cold anything, but since we`ve had cold showers for weeks, and thinking more in helping Fredrick, I just jumped in. after the baptism, we took photos in the pool, and Fredrick looked at me and said, ´´you`re trembling`` I didn`t notice until he pointed it out that the whole time, I had been shaking from the coldness. We ran out of the water, and went back to the house. Fredrick gave the most beautiful testimony about how we found him, and how he feels more peace than he has ever had now that he has been baptized in the church of Jesus Christ. He was confirmed on Sunday in sacrament meeting. We have been praying and fasting to find prepared people to teach. On Saturday, we had set a lesson with a family that we contacted in the street. Our pension told us that they were going to have a family night for Elder Parrales because it`s his last few days in the mission. We had already set the appointment, and knew the right and obedient thing to do. The dad of the family is Johnathan. He`s a professional guitar player. He told us that he had visited with the missionaries and used to attend church but this was 20 years ago. We talked with him and his wife (his wife is very catholic) about Jesus Christ and the importance of Him. We challanged them to baptism. Johnathan accepted, but his wife Kathy no. We have another appointment with them on Saturday! I learned from this experience of the relation between Sacrifice and Obedience. Obedience many times means that we much take away a few things that we want to do, and do what the Lord wants. But, the amazing thing is that when we do this, although it must be hard, we end up LOVING to be obedient, and don`t have to think twice about it. 

Wow, you guys are entering Summer and I`m just hitting Winter! TIME GOES BY WAYYY TO FAST! I want to live EVERY moment of the mission to the fullest because the time is short and there is so much to learn.

SO, now for the sad news... Elder Cuba is leaving me :( He will be going to Puno. It`s really cold there. I will be receiving a new companion on Wednesday. We will be the only ones in Calca as they are closing the sector of the Elders that were living with us. So, it`ll just be me and my new companion. My first time only being with my companion in an apartment. I don`t know who my new companion is, but I will let you know next week!

LOVE YOU MOM!! Love you friends and family!! You are all missionaries!! Keep up the great work!

Love,
Elder Jeffery

No comments:

Post a Comment